Subject: Re: 3/60 netboot/install problem
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/23/2000 21:08:30
Vers Tue, May 23, 2000 at 03:31:09PM -0400, NetBSD Bob disait quelque chose comme:

> When you get this working, can you give a list of what it was you
> actually did?  I have been working step by step from the FAQ, and
> it just is not working on my machine.  I have tried netbooting from
> a 3/260 with NetBSD-1.4.2 and a 4/60 with NetBSD-1.4.2, and it gets
> as far as getting its id, and possibly loading something else, and
> then it just sits doing nothing.

Today I spent a couple hours setting up my bootserver to make my 3/60
run SunOS 4.1.1. I got it to boot the kernel, and it knows where the
root partition is, but I think it dies when it tries to swap. I
tried several things, such as specifying
swap=server.mydomain.com:/export/sun3sunos/swap
in my /etc/bootparams, and even editing the /etc/rc file that it
should be mounting. I've even tried disabling swap, to no avail.

So now I just gave up on SunOS for a while, and switched everything
back to NetBSD. It works again, so I am pretty sure I did everything
I was supposed to.

Now, as for what I did to make NetBSD work, I am pretty sure that all
that's happening is that I have this in /etc/bootparams:

sunbear root=192.42.172.42:/export/sunbear/root gateway=192.42.172.1:0xffffff00

And /tftpboot contains this:
# ls -l /tftpboot
total 131
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       7 May 23 19:22 C02AACC9 -> netboot
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   17408 May  9  1999 netboot

and I'm running this stuff:

rarpd -d
named -b /etc/namedb/named.boot
/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd
There is an entry in DNS for the machine, which is almost certainly necessary.

Now, on the other machine, the NFS server, I've exported a tree that contains
the NetBSD filesystem for the machine, and I edited a lot of stuff in /etc
under that tree. I set up the stuff in rc.config, edited the fstab, setup
the resolv.conf--you know, the usual stuff you'd expect to set up.
I also did the mknod command that I found in the documentation to create
the console device.

This actually works quite well. If the 3/60 weren't so damn hot and loud,
I'd probably actually leave it up and use it for something. But hot and loud
as it is, it's going to be a "special occasion" machine.

Now as soon as I get some MMJ cables, I can netboot my DECstation, and see
how similar _that_ procedure is! :)

So, try configuring bootparas and tftpboot as I showed you, and fire up
rarpd and bootparamd. If that works, please let me know and maybe we can
see about updating the documentation.

Jeffrey Dunitz                 | *** ENRGi.com ***   | orpheus@avalon.net
BOFH Emeritus, Avalon Networks | Network Engineer    | (651) 686-9974 /
http://www.avalon.net/~orpheus | Net/Sec/Dev/Arch    | Eagan, MN  _ /