Subject: Re: 3/60 netboot/install problem
To: None <orpheus@avalon.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/23/2000 15:31:09
> > On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 11:46:22PM -0500, Jeffrey Dunitz wrote:
> > > I'm not a newbie to NetBSD, but I've never tried it on a sun3 before.
> > > I've had this 3/60 sitting here for a long time and decided to fire it up.
> >
> > > I've tried linking C02AACC9 to every one of those boot files in /tftpboot,
> > > and none of them really do anything.
> >
> > I disagree, it looks like it tftp's the boot program just fine.
>
> Yeah, but it wasn't doing anything after that.
>
> I got it to work, finally, though I'm not too sure what I did.
>
> I ended up linking the mac-address file to the plain old netbsd kernel
> rather than the ramdisk kernel. Then, it just started working.
> I don't know what I did other than that.

Hmmm, maybe this is what was giving me fits last night while trying to
netboot my 3/60.  I was using the ramdisk kernel.  Which is the correct
kernel binary to actually use for a netbooted ftp install?

> Next, I'm going to try to make sure I don't have any extraneous
> stuff in my config files. I'm using dhcp, but I also have bootpd
> enabled in /etc/inetd.conf on the bootserver/gateway. I shouldn't
> need both.

When you get this working, can you give a list of what it was you
actually did?  I have been working step by step from the FAQ, and
it just is not working on my machine.  I have tried netbooting from
a 3/260 with NetBSD-1.4.2 and a 4/60 with NetBSD-1.4.2, and it gets
as far as getting its id, and possibly loading something else, and
then it just sits doing nothing.

I am close, but not quite with a ringer, yet.  It should not be this
problematic to netboot and install NetBSD on a Sun 3.....

Oh, well, where did I put my rabbit's foot.....

Bob