Subject: Re: Sun 3/80
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: GnEaThEg0d <gnea@rochester.rr.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/19/2000 11:06:48
On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 09:38:14AM +0100, Pållen wrote:
> I just got hold of a Sun 3/80, seems to have 8 MB memery and a Quantum
> Prodrive 210S.
>
> The problem is that the powerled just flashes and nothing happens.
>
> I have no monitor for it right now, I was thinking of using the serial
> console. Anything special to think of there? Does netbsd support serial
> install or do I have to borrow a monitor?

bout a year ago i picked up a 3/80 with 16 megs of ram and no hard drive at
hamfest.. the nvram was shot so i had to get a new one, and chances are, this
is what you'll need to do too.  You can order one through mouser (www.mouser.com)
as they have quite a nice selection.  Unfortunately i do NOT happen to remember
the part # off the top of my head, but the nvram faq url helped me find the
right one.. it's about $15+3s/h if you live in the U.S. i'm not sure what
international rates are like.  the nvram faq is a great source of information
for this, plus you'll need an rs323 (null modem cable) for hooking up a dumb
terminal to serial A on the back of the 3/80.  You can actually (if you don't
have a real dumb terminal) use your pc for this, along with minicom.  simply
plug the rs323 into serial A, plug a serial cable into that, then plug it into
a free serial port on your pc.  this all runs at 9600 baud iirc.  simply run
minicom and tell it to use whichever tty you plugged it into... no need to dial,
the information will just show right up in minicom.. you will need to know how
to 'break', on a pc in minicom, this is done with either alt-k or another key
sequence which i don't remmeber off the top of my head.. this should get you
going. good luck. and yes, netbsd will netboot on this configuration if you
hvae the proper networking hardware (a hub, a 10BaseT transeiver, some cat5)

--
   .oO Gnea [gnea at rochester dot rr dot com] Oo.
.oO You Are Elle http://garson.nontoxic.org/~gnea Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tuna fish."