Subject: Re: Sun 3/80
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5llen?= <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: J. Scott Kasten <jsk@titan.tetracon-eng.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/18/2000 15:53:03
Unfortunately, you won't be able to fake things out by putting
that address in the arp table.  The 3/80 may act like it's going to
do something at that point, but it will not.  The NVRAM is dead and
the box comes up hosed.  You need to go get the NVRAM FAQ from www.sunhelp.com
and look through there.  You'll have to follow the instructions to go
into the NVRAM from the prom and put in a valid machine ID, MAC address,
etc...  It's not hard, just takes a few minutes to get it right.
Then the machine will come up properly.

The NVRAM chip can be replaced easy enough.  You'll need an M48T02
clock/ram chip with battery.

In short, the nvram procedure works something like thisL

m a fedfa000<enter>
33fa500<enter>
<CTRL-d><ENTER>
m b fedfa000<enter>
33fb80a<enter>
<CTRL-D><ENTER>
p fedfa000<enter>
64000049<ENTER>
<CTRL-D><ENTER>
o fedfa7d8<ENTER>    /* Lower case "oh", not zero. */
01<ENTER>
42<ENTER>
08<ENTER>
00<ETNER>
20<ENTER>
D1<ENTER>
0A<ENTER>
87<ENTER>
00<ENTER>
00<ENTER>
00<ENTER>
00<ENTER>
D1<ENTER>
0A<ENTER>
87<ENTER>
6B<ENTER>
<CTRL-D><ENTER>
k 2<ENTER>

HTH!

I this sequence will put in the mac address 08:00:20:D1:0A:87
and the xor based checksum of the ID bytes.  For more detail,
you'll need to read the faq.

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"I'm a .signature virus.  Please copy me
 into your ~/.signature to help me spread!"