Subject: Re: Modern SCSI disks on a sun3/60, what and how?
To: None <derry.birse@ind.alstom.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/20/1999 13:50:11
On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 04:44:12PM +0100, derry.birse@ind.alstom.com wrote:
> I have a several Sun 3/60's all with original disk units. I would like to fit
> more modern larger capacity units to these systems to provide for greater
> reliability and space. My questions are as follows:
>
> Has anyone out there done this?

Yes.

> What specific drive subsystems were used?

I don't remember. Probably old Quantum drives.

> How did you go about connecting them to the system?

1) Got a SCSI cable that converted the SCSI connector
on the back of the machine into a Centronics-style connector. Then I
used standard SCSI equipment.

2) Got a friend more skilled with small tools than me to disconnect
the pin on the 3/60 SCSI connector that connects the SCSI Termination
Power line to the 3/60 motherboard. It's supposed to have +5v on
it (I think), but the 3/60 grounds it out. Don't fry your drives!

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.