Subject: Re: Sun3/E use
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/19/1999 10:58:36
In PCspeak the plug-and-play BIOS enumerates the PCI bus when it
pokes at known addresses to see if a board is installed and to
figure out what is installed there.

A UNIX kernel does the same thing when it boots by looking for
onboard I/O and VMEbus I/O at known addresses.

It is also called a discovery process.

At 09:50 AM 10/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>> Not enumerating the VME boards also sounds like a BGNT jumper
>>> configuration problem.
>> Well, it enumerates them OK but doesn't identify them or associate
>> them with a driver
>
>What do you mean by "enumerates"?  Nothing in my (admittedly limited)
>experience with the sun3 port sounds like that, and I can't see how one
>could do it on VME in any case - the address space is too large.
>
>Could you post the messages in question?
>
>					der Mouse
>
>			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
>		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson@IDS.net