Subject: Bombing sun3 installs...revisited
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/30/1999 14:23:55
Well, after a lot of headscratching, I was able to load 1.3.2, just
fine.  I have not had a chance to load test it for read/write to see
if all those scsi bus timeout problems I had earlier are still there.
But, 1.4 still blows up.   A little constructive criticism may
be in order, not of anyone or anything in particular, but just to
help others from not stumbling all over themselves, like I did.

1.  Part of my problem was that the ftp on netbsd.org was breaking links
    in the calls out of the sun3 tree, and my stoopid AIX ftp did not
    return them correctly.  That is partially my problem, but curable
    if I do a pwd in each and every tree level to make sure the link
    is correct and not broken.  That is partially NetBSD's problem,
    in that one should NEVER link across architectures, for any reason.
    Always cp the common files into the target architecture and NEVER
    USE LINKS.  BAD KARMA, BAD JUJU, SLEEPLESS NIGHTS ENSUE, IF LINKS
    BREAK FOR ANY REASON (like a dumb ftp on my end).  For days, I have
    been trying to boot M68K code, it seems....  Bad karma on sun3.

    Also, the mget of the entire sun3 tree as a tarball should return
    the files and not the broken links.   That is a problem on NetBSD's
    end, I would expect.  It should always default to the files and not
    the links, if possible.  There should be a switch in tar when it
    is called, to do that, I would think.

2.  In the 1.4 install script on the booted miniroot from sd(0,0,1) -s,
    you need a small fix so that you don't have to invoke edlabel at
    every boot, even if the disk is already edlabeled.  On my machine,
    it hung anytime I did not pass through edlabel, again, first.

3.  In the 1.4 install script welcome menu, and in the various and sundry
    incantations of INSTALL(8),  it should be fsf 3 and not fsf 2.  IFF
    you choose fsf 2, you inadvertently install the sun3x boot kernel
    instead of the miniroot, and don't catch it until it tries to boot,
    and have to reinstall from the ground up, again.  Bad juju.

4.  In the miniroot boot, where it starts, it calls an error due to
    a bombed ld.so file...../usr/lib/ld.so: warning: libc.so.12.20:
    minor version >=40 expected, using it anyway.  It sounds like the
    classic wrong ld.so file.  It causes further errors that lock up
    the machine because it can't find or interpret a root disk query
    call.

5.  Next, an undefined symbol is found in /usr/libexec/ld.so
    "___sigaction14" called from  sort: sort at 0x60b4.
    I would expect it is trying to sort a bogus drive list, from
    where ld.so bombed, above.

6.  Finally, where it asks for available drives as root, the code
    gets lost, and anything that is entered is improperly assessed,
    and it locks up calling for the root disk, the root disk, the
    root disk..... time to hit the little white reset button on the
    back of the cpu card......

Although it appears to be a scrambled ld.so problem, it nukes my
install at that point.  So, something is still not quite right,
in  1.4 on the 3/260 box.  It died similarly on the 3/110 box.
How are you folks getting it beyond that on  3/60's or 3/80's?

Any ideas as to how to get around it?

For the sake of getting a running system up, the first time,
would it be possible to do a root and usr file system dump,
as in the classic 4.3 BSD, and just restore from that?
The 1.3.2 miniroot may be together enough not to care that
one is restoring a 1.4 system over it (Y/N).  If that is
possible, someone point me to a classic dump of root and usr,
and let me try that.   At this point in time, I am game for
almost anything.....

Thanks

Bob Keys