Subject: Re: Booting a Sun 3/60
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/02/1999 08:28:23
I wrote:
> Is something wrong with my setup or my kernel?

In reading the NetBSD 1.4 documentation, I learn there is a program
called 'netboot' which the Sun's ROM should boot, which queries a
bootparamd to figure out where to get the real kernel.

The reason I wasn't doing this in the first place: on
http://netbsd.gw.com/Ports/sun3/index.html is a link to
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3/x11r6.3/Xkernel-root.tar.gz,
with no nearby documentation.  I assumed some amount of documentation
would be included.

I cannot find any files in the Xkernel-root tar file that look like
possible candidates.  There is no file called 'netboot', and all the
other files in the distribution appear to be either the NetBSD kernel,
text files, legitimate NetBSD executables, or a Berkeley DB file.

I should note that the "Netbooting NetBSD/sun3" document seems to be
missing, not only on www.netbsd.org, but also on netbsd.gw.com,
www.au.netbsd.org, www.fr.netbsd.org, and www2.fr.netbsd.org.  (I'm
using
http://netbsd.gw.com/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun3.html and
its corresponding URLs on other servers.)

The netbooting web page I get to by backspacing over 'intro.sun3.html'
says the sun3 document is 'coming soon'.

According to my medieval text in the seventh century a finalizer raised a
dead object named Gorth who infected every computer in Cappidocia ending
Roman rule in the region.  -- Charles Fiterman on gclist@iecc.com