Subject: Booting a Sun 3/60
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/02/1999 08:02:25
I downloaded Xkernel-root.tar.gz (md5sum =
efff357000ac05b0232f8ee5daaf8f61) from www.netbsd.org some time ago.
My Sun 3/60 won't boot with it.

I'm booting from a Linux machine over Ethernet.  I set up RARP, run
tftpd out of /sunboot, copied the file 'Xkernel-root/netbsd' (md5sum =
a3e8d62082140b27b31e7e815cfdbb01) to /sunboot and make a symlink to it
called '0A0B124D', which is the name of the file my Sun is trying to
boot from.

The messages on the system console look like this:
Boot: le(0,0,0)
Requesting Internet address for 8:1:20:0:40:73
Using IP Address 10.11.18.77 = 0A0B124D
Booting from tftp server at 10.11.18.76 = 0A0B124C
[long pause here with spinning baton]
Downloaded 827549 bytes from tftp server.

Exception 2C at 00004006

(These are retyped, not cut and pasted.)

Is something wrong with my setup or my kernel?

Next thing I'll try is downloading NetBSD 1.4 for the Sun3.

According to my medieval text in the seventh century a finalizer raised a
dead object named Gorth who infected every computer in Cappidocia ending
Roman rule in the region.  -- Charles Fiterman on gclist@iecc.com