Subject: Re: Is there a port or snapshot later than the 1.3.2 in the archives?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/25/1999 16:37:03
> 	I haven't heard of one, but I actually just resurrected my
> 3/60 and started building one. Once it finishes and I can get a
> snapshot built, I'll see about putting it up somewhere; possibly on
> ftp.netbsd.org, with the permission of the portmaster.
>
> 	- Nathan
Sounds great!  I am working up a deal for an si controller, so that
will outfit a pair of the 12 slot sun3 crates to work with.  The one
machine I got up last night on 1.3.2 seems to be running stably, but
it is slow as molasses on dumps.  Anyone know why?  It does not have
any of the bus timout problems I was having on the sun4 cards in the
same box, though, which is a good sign.  It installed flawlessly
from tape, albeit slowly, and came up running a 1.3.2 version level.

Is there some way to make the install script not have to rewind after
every tar input?  It spends most of its time rewinding and forwarding
to the right files.  Since most folks want the full generic install,
why not just have the thing read the tape sequentially for 7 tarballs,
for the full install?  That way, the operator could merely load up
the tape, and once it starts it would not need further intervention
until the whole system was loaded.  I know, that is lazy, but when
the load takes several hours, it keeps one from having to look at
the screen every few minutes to see where things are.

I checked several of the archive sites, and it seems that there are
some ports labelled 1.3.3 out there, but I am not sure what actual
revision they are.  When I brought one up, the source_date was Jan
1998, which seems a little old or something out of sync.  Maybe
it is time to get a new snapshot out to bring everything up to an
even keel.

Anyway thanks for everyone's effort.  I, for one, appreciate it!

Bob Keys