Subject: Re: Ahh... the old foiled by the sc scuzzie controller routine.....
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/24/1999 09:42:14
> 	The 'sc' controller is a non DMA capable collection of chips.
> 	Der Mouse had a partial driver written, but did not have the time
> 	time complete it.

Is that code still around?  If so, pass it my way.

> 	If anyone is interested in working on a driver, there are two
> 	cards available :)
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/hardware.html#sun_vme_sc_scsi

I have the cards, but no code to play with.  For some reason all my
vme crates came with sc controllers, including the 4/260.

> 	Another option might be a SMD controller - I have a spare
> 	controller and a few drives, only shipping them might be a
> 	problem :)

Egads..... I will stick with the pair of micropolis 1558's...(:+\\....
I don't have too much room left for another pair of 12 slot desksides
just for 280mb or 500mb drives as power hungry as those beasties are.
I am working on finding another si controller.  The one si I do have
stays in the 12 slot play box.  The other one may have to run sunos
for a while longer (3/110 in 12 slot crate).

Speaking of sun3 code.  I am trying to get my 3/160 to come up on the
serial port A with a VT100.  It seems to have getty running and going
to sleep, locking up the port.  It then goes into an endless loop polling
itself and not accepting any input.  How should that be properly disabled?
Can it be disabled from the serial port, or do I need to find a mono
monitor/keyboard to hook up to it, and come in through the front door?

One other thought.... I had the sparc port running on the machine,
but it was very prone to giving si_dma_start: timeout errors.
When I brought up the sun3 port, those errors were not there.
Is that a function of the sparc cpu running too fast for the
netbsd code on the vme bus?????  The cpu does not seem to be
damaging anything, but it emits hundreds of si_dma_start messages
under load.  Since nothing gets nuked, it tends to make me think
it might be a timing problem?????  Any insights are appreciated.
I am not all that intimate with how the two ports came to be,
and what specific driver differences there are between them, yet.
(obviously, I switched CPU's/ram before comparing ports.....(:+}}.....
and that is why I need to find another si board... it takes too long
to r/r cpu/ram and bring it up again.... better to set up a pair
of 12 slot crates, one for sun4 and one for sun3 and work each up).

Thanks

Bob Keys