Subject: X on a 3/80
From: Stephen Eastman <seastman@uswest.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/21/1999 16:18:20
I am new to netbsd-sun3 and have a 3/80 with 12 megs of RAM running off of
NFS on a mac netbsd box.
Everything in command line mode runs great, but when trying to run X,  the
root window comes up, and then I get the message: "waiting for X server to
shut down" and then back to the command prompt.  Most of the time, no error
messages, (Although maybe twice, I have seen something like 'no fpu
support' but of course the fpu is detected upon boot up)  Other than that,
nothing but the message stated above. (I did a 'startx >& startx.log and
got nothing else).  I am wondering if X requires any tweaking: I noticed
that there are no .Xresources or .Xmodmap files which are referenced in
xinitrc. Do I need to create these and populate them?  I know it's xinit
itself that's failing rather than any apps, because I created an empty
~/.xinitrc and it still bombed.  Running just the server brings up the root
window fine with mouse support.  I can even run xdm without any problem.

Any ideas?
Stephen Eastman
seastman@uswest.net