Subject: Sun 3/50 free to good home. (Adelaide, Australia)
To: port-sun <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/19/1999 10:59:54
Forgive the off topic nature of this message, but this seems to
be alikely place to find people who want a Sun 3/50.

I have a fully optioned(!) Sun 3/50 to give away provided it doesn't
cost me anything (ie you collect or pay the freight).

It has an FPU and 12MB of ram (third party daughter board).

It works mostly. The monitor typically starts up with the display
offset by half the screen width. This seems to be temperature
dependent so if you warm it up and then power it off and on, it comes
up OK. The monitor has had its EHT transformer (common point of
failure) replaced in living memory.

The CPU board also seems to have some temperature dependant problem
where the video memory gets corrupted. This can happen after the machine
has been on for a few hours to a few days.

Both these problems I think are fixable by someone who is knowledgable
and has the time to tinker (which I have no longer). The system could
also serve as a source of parts for anyone trying to maintain other
Sun 3/50s or the old Sun monochrome monitors.

Mouse and keyboard are fine.

The ethernet, scsi and serial ports all work and have been in use.
The scsi port has been hacked so it conforms to the scsi spec WRT to
TERMPWR. The BootROM is the latest (last?) revision which lifts the
restrictions on boot devices from the early ROM revisions. I believe
(but haven't tried) that this allows booting from CDROM.

--
Dr Ian Dall				      <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Senior Research Scientist