Subject: Re: Out of Space in KMEM_MAP
To: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@simon.sfsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/02/1999 16:24:57
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Michael Thompson wrote:

> I am running 1.3.3 on a 3/80 with 40MB RAM and 64MB swap.
> I am trying to do a "make build" of the whole OS, but [...]
>
> Virtual Memory Exhausted
> Panic: Malloc: Out of space in KMEM_MAP

This problem has plagued me from the beginning of the sun3x port.  I too
have the same problem when doing a 'make build'.  The only workaround is
to type 'make build' again after rebooting.

I spent some time talking to Jason Thorpe about the possibility of this
problem being the symptom of a kernel memory leak.  'make build' is a very
process intensive application; that is, if forks many many processes over
its lifetime.  This leads me to believe that if there is a memory leak, it
is most likely to be found in the process clean-up code in the kernel.

For now you must live with the agony and wait of typing 'make build'
again.
 -J