Subject: Sun 3 b&w Monitor
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Koch <koch@pz.pirmasens.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/02/1999 09:51:22
Hi folks!

For no good reason, i've written some words about these
old Sun3 Monitors. If there is enough interest, i'll
translate them into english language and put them on
doener (aehm... sun3arc.krupp.net).

Please send me a "translate request".

I have four or five of these monitors (Phillips with
Clinton screen) and these are all dying with the same
symptoms. A company nearby (who claimed to repair them
for 100 DM) revived one for 400 DM now and one of the
guys told me a whole story how they did the job.

It's the flyback transformator! I've found a source
for these beasts which is quite cheap (around 90DM)
and its easy to solder in and out, because it has
big connectors.

I'll try to fix my dead ones ASAP. If i cannot figure
it out by myself, i'll give them to the company
nearby (and then i WILL nail them with their 100 DM
offer).

Peter

P.S.: The company is "Convar", http://www.convar.com.
I don't know, if they're active in the U.S., but they
are in Germany, France and the U.K.
Fortunately (for me) they have their German repair
center here in Pirmasens where i live.