Subject: pppd on Sun 3/60 serial ports: RTS/CTS flow control?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/03/1998 02:29:15
I feel a little silly.

I'm trying to set up a Sun 3/60 running -current as a PPP server. Got an OK
modem from Zoom Telephonics (a 56K thing with a Rockwell core; yes, I know
I won't get better than V.34 33.6Kb/s on it). I configured /etc/gettytab
with the new "pp" directive, and the magic seems to work, to a point...

pppd is indeed getting invoked, but the authentication fails. When I remove
the requirement for authentication, the IP address negotiation fails. I
suspect that the hardware flow control (RTS/CTS) is not quite configured
correctly, and that the minute "large" amounts of data move, the port
freezes. I saw this behavior with "tip" also.

My trouble is that I don't know how the Sun 3/60 has the Zilog 8530 SCC's
wired: how many pins are real, and how should one deal with hardware flow
control. My predicament is not helped by the modem docs - I miss the
Telebit modems of old: they had bazillions of S registers, but you could
always get them to do exactly what you wanted if configured carefully.

So, since my hunting with Alta Vista has not helped, can anyone here tell
me which leads are real, and whether this can be used for unidirectional or
bi-directional flow control?

	thanks,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>