Subject: Re: Installation problems on Sun 3/80
To: Scott Johnston <johnston@mit.edu>
From: marsmellow <md4mars@mdstud.chalmers.se>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/09/1998 12:23:01
hey!

i just recently had the same problem, though i managed to boot with:
root device: le0
dump: <enter>
file system: nfs

which will bring the system up, both with netbsd-gen and netbsd-rd.
no welcome-screen, though :)

furthermore there are some other errors/inconsitencies in the installation
notes, regarding what to call the netboot-file that gets tftp'd etc. minor
things, though they can be a real pain when you're a novice to
sun-networking like me. i'll try to make a list (2-3 things) if anyone's
interested.

btw, what are the md0x devices? ramdisks??

/martin

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Scott Johnston wrote:

> Thank you for your prompt response.  However, this doesn't seem to help.
> I neglected to mention that I tried this before I e-mailed the list...
> what happens is:
>
>   root device (default md0a): md0
>   dump device (default md0b): <enter>
>   file system (default ffs): <enter>
>   root on md0a dumps on md0b
>   cannot mount root, error = 22
>   root device (default md0a):
>
> I can't seem to find an explanation of the error number.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>
> ---
> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Jeremy Cooper wrote:
>
> > Just so you don't have to go find it:
> >
> > [port-sun3x]
> >
> >   The RAMDISK kernel used during the install process (netbsd-rd.gz)
> >   is missing a section of code which allows it to automatically detect
> >   that it has an embedded filesystem.  At boot, it will fail to find the
> >   ``md0'' device on its own (which contains the filesystem) and will
> >   prompt for the name of a different device to query.  The default,
> >   ``le0'', is incorrect and if chosen, will cause the machine to hang.
> >   Instead, enter ``md0'' and the boot process will continue as normal.
> >   (You will be prompted for the dump device and filesystem type as
> >   well.  Select the default in both cases.)

  "Reality is only a special case of possibilities"
  -- I. Prigogine