Subject: Re: Hardware problem
To: Chris Rupnik <chrisr@geeknet.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Adam Kropelin <adk0212@rit.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/07/1998 12:43:20
At 10:50 AM 9/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

> When i boot it up, the following is reported.

>Memory Test (testing 00000010 Mbytes)
> Err 11: Parity Error at 0x003FFFFC (Reg = 0x000000D8)
>         Exp 0x5A972C5A, Obs 0x58972C5A

>Ok, there are several other cards, from left to right. This is a 12 slot
>chassis
>
>1 - 501-1164
>2 - 501-1132
>3 - 501-1132
>4 - 501-1132
>5 - empty
>6 - empty
>7 - 501-1166
>
>Can i just move the memory boards around to make the problem go away? Even
>removing memory is ok.

Chris,

There's a cardcage configuration diagram for the 3/160 in the Sun Hardware
FAQ. That will give you an idea of what cards you can place where in the
cardcage. It also will give you info on the backplane jumpers (Px03 & Px04)
that must be set per your config. If you've never read one of these
diagrams before, you might be a bit confused :). Let me know if you need
some pointers.

It looks like the parity error is happening just below the 4MB boundary,
which would seem to indicate that it's a problem with memory card #1 (the
one in slot #5). Try removing that card and replacing it with the one from
slot #3. You'll have to change a jumper on the card to mark it as RAM CARD
#1 (or #0, depending on how they numbered those...). That will take you
down to 8MB of RAM, but it's probably your only solution if that mem card
is bad.

If these mem cards are like the 8MB cards that are used in 3/2xx VME
machines, there is a resistor terminator pack that must be in place _only_
on the card in slot #5. Other cards must not have the terminator pack
installed.

Good luck! These old WME machines are a lot of fun and great conversation
pieces (especially if there's a stack of them in your living room, like I
have!).

--Adam