Subject: Re: Setting HW address of ethernet...
To: marsmellow <md4mars@mdstud.chalmers.se>
From: Andrew Walker <andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/01/1998 13:35:15
marsmellow wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Tom Palmer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Having recently got hold of some 3/80's and installing NetBSD on some I was
> > wondering if it is possible to set the MAC address of the network card from
> > the command line prompt as some of the machines have dead PROMS.
> >
> >   If I can't do it from the command line is it possible to produce a custom
> > kernel with these values hardwired rather than getting it from the PROM?
> >
> >   As a final solution can anyone tell me where I can get some NVRAM chips
> > for these machines (preferably in the UK)? I have tried Sun UK but a) they
> > no longer support this machine and b) they do not know of an alternative
> > supplier.
> >
> >   Cheers,
> >
> >   Tom
>
> Have you considered simply refurbishing the old NVRAM with a new battery?
> It's not that difficult, just get a 3v lithium battery & follow the
> instructions in the hostid/NVRAM faq.
> I just went through the process with two old 3/80's, worked like a charm
> :)
> Furthermore you probably won't be able to boot anything without a working
> NVRAM, at least my 3/80's refused to recognice any disk device until i
> sorted the PROM's.
> good luck!
>
> martin
>
>   "Reality is only a special case of possibilities"
>   -- I. Prigogine

Well, I've done this as well, but:

a) The solder doesn't seem to take too well to the battery surfaces
b) There's a chance you'll physically damage the PROM
c) It's easy to get new PROMs when you've got a Maplins handy

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

   ......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......

(pwei barmy army - oslo "filial")