Subject: Re: Setting HW address of ethernet...
To: Tom Palmer <tom@netherhall.cambs.sch.uk>
From: Andrew Walker <andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/01/1998 12:00:33
Tom Palmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Having recently got hold of some 3/80's and installing NetBSD on some I was
> wondering if it is possible to set the MAC address of the network card from
> the command line prompt as some of the machines have dead PROMS.
>
>   If I can't do it from the command line is it possible to produce a custom
> kernel with these values hardwired rather than getting it from the PROM?
>
>   As a final solution can anyone tell me where I can get some NVRAM chips
> for these machines (preferably in the UK)? I have tried Sun UK but a) they
> no longer support this machine and b) they do not know of an alternative
> supplier.

Check out your nearest Maplins. Which by my reckoning should be
errm Norwich???. Not sure - there's a list of stores at

	http://www.maplin.co.uk

I'd give you the part number, but my Maplin catalogue is
at home. Then get the Sun NVRAM faq and program up some dummy
values, like 52c0ffee for the hostid and 80:0:20:c0:ff:ee for
the HW address.

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

   ......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......

(pwei barmy army - oslo "filial")