Subject: 3/60 installation problems
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/22/1998 17:31:54
Greetings. If this isn't the right list to ask this to,
please point me in the right direction.

I've just spent hours trying to 1.3.2 installed on my 3/60.
The machine ran fine under StunOS 4.1.1 (as far as that goes), but
it was time for something more modern. It's got 20MB of RAM and
a 350MB Quantum Lightning 350MB SCSI-II hard disk, the color
option, console and whatnot.

While running through the install steps
I discovered that the miniroot was not properly copied
onto the swap partition from SunOS, but of course I'd already
repartitioned the disks. So next I got it to boot off my linux
laptop (planning and NFS install) and tried copying the miniroot
again. This resulted in a kernel panic complaining about DMA timeouts
or somesuch - it goes by really fast. I tried this several times
with no luck. Next I pulled the disk off the sun and plugged it
into my pcmcia SCSI card on the laptop, used dd to copy the miniroot
onto the swap partition, and stuck it back on the Sun. Now I can
successfully boot to the install program from the swap partition, but
I get two errors. First, it won't write to /tmp/filesystems, complaining
about a read-only filesystem. I've booted both with and without the -s
switch (does that do anything?). Next, if I try to run newfs manually
I get the DMA SCSI error again and everything reboots. Why did this
work fine under SunOS but craps out now? help! I've reduced a happy
sun3/60 to a useless piece of scrap!
Thanks.

	-Ethan