Subject: Re: Server or client?
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/05/1998 08:18:50
Rick Copeland wrote:

 > I have seen other *nix systems that use the term server as opposed to
 > client, for example Sun Solaris Server and Solaris client (desktop).  What
 > difference is there between these two?  If any?  If there is any difference
 > does NetBSD support both?

They're usually the same operating system, just with different toys
on more CDs for the "server edition".

To take Solaris for example, if you get the desktop edition you just
get the base OS, netscape, CDE and a few other bits and pieces;  If
you buy the server edition you get the base OS plus Netscape servers,
a cut-down version of Legato Networker, Solstice AdminSuite, extra
documentation, and (again) a few other bits and pieces.  Licensing
also differs:  Desktop editions aren't usually licensed for as many
users, although that varies from vendor to vendor.

It's just marketting.  Same OS, different price.  There's no real reason
why you can't, say, install the desktop edition, enable NFS services,
and use the machine as an enterprise-wide NFS server (substitute "print,"
"application," in place of "NFS" to achive the same thing with other
resources).

So yes, one could say that NetBSD supports both, but isn't pretentious
enough to differentiate between desktop and server editions.

   - mark

I tried an internal modem,                    newton@atdot.dotat.org
     but it hurt when I walked.                          Mark Newton
----- Voice: +61-4-1958-3414 ------------- Fax: +61-8-83034403 -----