Subject: Merged Sun-3X (1.3.2 vs current)
To: None <maynard@jmg.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/17/1998 11:05:14
> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:06:03 -0300
> From: "J. Maynard Gelinas" <maynard@jmg.com>
>
>      BTW: the 1.3.2 source tree looks significantly different from
> -current, with sun3x and sun3 as completely separate architectures
> and build areas.  Is the 1.3.2 tree what -current needs to migrate
> towards, or is it legacy?

There was a lot of "heat" directed toward Jeremy and I about the
duplication represented by src/sys/arch/sun3x so I merged it into
the sun3x area.  That is seen as the way of the future.

I'm almost done with changes to the boot programs that allow
the same installation media to work on both Sun-3 and Sun-3X.
It is still not practical to build a kernel that runs on both
architectures, but it IS possible to make the boot programs
work on both.  Therefore, I'm making the boot programs look
first for netbsd.${arch} (where arch is one of sun3, sun3x)
and then just "netbsd".  The installation media will have both
netbsd.sun3 and netbsd.sun3x kernels (but no "netbsd") so it
will boot on either architecture.  The miniroot might setup a
symbolic link netbsd->netbsd.${arch} at run time...

So anyway, I hope that the next major release of NetBSD will
have a single installation set for Sun-3 and Sun-3X machines.

Gordon