Subject: Re: Unable to mount NFS writable
To: J. Maynard Gelinas <maynard@jmg.com>
From: W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/16/1998 21:12:38
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, J. Maynard Gelinas wrote:

>     Do you have any /var/log/messages output from the linux server?   Set
> debugging on in nfsd and see what happens when you attempt to mount the 3/60's
> root filesysem.  I take it you don't have a small disk handy to boot a local
> root filesystem with...
>
>     Try some of these things and mail back some SYSLOG output from the server
> if it continues to break.  You should be able to track this down if you turn
> on debugging - see man nfsd.

Thanks--that did it.  I don't know why I didn't try the nfsd debugging
options before.  The problem was a dumb Linux user problem--I actually had
two lines in my /etc/exports,

/usr/export/root		xhost(rw)
/usr/export/root/xhost		xhost(rw,no_root_squash)

It was using the first entry and squashing the root UID.  (And because
root couldn't write, I couldn't add users.)

Wil

--
W. Reilly Cooley                                     Linux 2.0.34
Naked Ape Consulting                                FreeBSD 2.2.6