Subject: Unable to mount NFS writable
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/16/1998 19:36:36
Greetings!  I have a new old Sun 3/60 and am working with 1.3.2.  I've
managed to figure out how to get it to boot with RARP, TFTP, NFS root,
etc. using the available Xkernel distribution.  Having had problems with
that, I untgz'd 1.3.2 into the exported root, which has mostly worked, far
enough even to run an X server and use remote XDM.

But I am unable (re-)mount root or any other filesystem writable.  The
machine hosting this is a Linux 2.0 box, with NFS 2.2beta29.  I've stopped
and restarted mountd and nfsd, added the appropriate (I think) entries to
/etc/exports:

/usr/export/root/xhost     xhost(rw,no_root_squash)

The mount command returns, no complaints or anything.  Is there something
else I should do? How can I see (other than writing to it) if it is
writable?  The 'mount' command under Linux provides this...

I also have a DECstation 3100 (aka PMAX) which disk-boots NetBSD 1.3.2 and
is able to NFS mount things writable from the Linux box, so there doesn't
seem to be anything inherently wrong with NFS implementation.

Dein Wil
W. Reilly Cooley, Esq.                   Naked Ape Consulting
wcooley@nakedape.ml.org            http://www.nakedape.ml.org
Links page ---->             http://www.nakedape.ml.org/links