Subject: Re: But the kernel doesn't boot (Was Re: CG4 on 3/80 works)
To: J. Maynard Gelinas <maynard@jmg.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/14/1998 18:28:11
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, J. Maynard Gelinas wrote:

>     Got some sup questions here: I'd like to sup up to _before_ these problems
> occurred but I don't see anything in the man page to step back in the CVS tree.
> Does the sup server only track current?  For that matter, can someone tell me
> the difference between 'sup' and 'cvsup'?  I admit to complete cluelessness
> here.

	I'm afraid not - sup only allows you to track -current. As far as
	I know NetBSD does not have any cvsup servers available...

>    Finally, when I rebuilt make, install dropped it in /make.  That didn't look
> right... but not a serious problem either.

	You need to make install in /usr/src/share/mk to get the new
	system make defaults.

> J. Maynard Gelinas
>
> ps:  Not to be a heretic, but these five hour kernel compiles are
> getting on my nerves.  If I want to cross compile from my x86 box is
> there any reason why I should have to run NetBSD?  I've already got a
> Linux box going the way I like it and would rather not have to scrap
> that just for a cross compiler.  The only problem I can think of is
> getting config working under linux... anyone have experience with
> this?

	I know some of the mac68k and vax people have cross compiled
	on x86 linux boxes - the userland is somewhat fraught, but kernels
	are (in relative terms) easier... Unfortunately I do not have
	details to hand...

	Personally I've found it a real win having the same OS (NetBSD :)
	on each machine, but you certainly do not need to do this.

		David/absolute

         -=- They took away my irony, but they left my deceit  -=-