Subject: X problems..
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Håkan Thörngren <hth@analytik.analytikerna.se>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/28/1998 08:59:25
I got another 3/60 the other day.  I want to run X on it and have
it more or less up with far less problems than I expected.

The greatest problem at the moment is that I cannot launch
programs (like xterm and emacs) from a hotkey or from the menu
in twm.  It seems to start a process owned by root, puts up a wrist
watch and hangs.  If I "kill -9 the process from remote, X displays
the corner advincing me to place the window, when I press the mouse,
it realizes that the window is gone and just forgets about it.
Things are back to normal after this.

Xsun and twm are owned by the user.

Another curious thing is that I start a console xterm, which in "ps"
seems to be owned by root, but it works as if it is owned by the user.
I can launch X applications from this xterm without a problem.
I guess this has to do with xterm being setuid as root, but can
someone tell me why it is setuid?

I am running NetBSD-1.3 booting diskless from an Amiga/030 with
NetBSD-1.3, the root file system is for the Sun3, but /usr is shared
with the Amiga.

BTW, "sleep" always core dumps for me on the sun3.