Subject: Re: getty repeating to fast on (ttya,ttyb) sleeping
To: Claude Foley <Claude.Foley@cns.eds.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/17/1998 16:57:16
> The difference between the one that is working and the one that is
> not is [edited; the original was pretty unreadable with a fixed-width
> font -dM]

>               Working one     Failing one
> memory:       24M             4M
> monitor:      black & white   no monitor but there is plug for color
> console(prom):   b&w          ttya( using a qume terminal)

> When I boot on the failing one everything goes smoothly but when it
> goes to multi user, I have an error message from getty( may be init ).
> Error is: getty is repeating to quickly on ttya sleeping
>                 getty is repeating to quickly on ttyb sleeping

This is from init.  Check when you bring it up single-user, you will
probably see a getty.core in /.  If so, this is almost certainly the
"everything dumps core" bug.

In text which I've edited away, you imply (but don't quite come right
out and state) that you're using NetBSD-1.1.  I believe the sun3 port
of that vintage had the everything-dumps-core problem in a pretty
severe way.

You are likely to find you will have to go to a more recent version of
NetBSD to get it to work reliably on the "failing" machine.

> Also I need to know where could I find a color monitor and a list of
> model that works

Well, 61.8KHz horizontal, 66Hz vertical, 1152x900...any monitor that
can take that and has physically compatible connectors (or an adapter)
will *probably* work.  (Unless you've got "hi-res" color, 1600x1280 and
I don't know the scan frequencies - but I don't know whether color of
that resolution exists for the Sun-3.  It might help some if you said
what model of Sun-3 it is - in particular, is it a VME cardcage model
or is it a pizza-box model?)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca