Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 and XKernel trouble: dies with exception
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/16/1998 02:20:11
[ On Wed, April 15, 1998 at 18:10:23 (-0400), J. Maynard Gelinas wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 and XKernel trouble: dies with exception
>
>      BTW: I've never installed netbsd diskless, so I don't know what
>   to do about installing the miniroot on netswap space... could
>   someone elaborate on this?

I think diskless(8) is accurate enough.  The only weird thing is NFS
mounting a swap file (you have to make a directory, and mount it as a
directory, and then it appears as a file afterwards).

Last time I tried this on NetBSD/sun3 though it wouldn't run reliably.
If it even got the X11 server up and running things would soon start
dropping core, seemingly because of problems with VM or shared
libraries, or both.

I've not yet tried with 1.3.1, nor have I tried with a UVM based
NetBSD-current kernel.

I've currently got a chicken&egg problem too -- my most favourite
workstation is a diskless 3/60 still running SunOS, and it's served from
the machine I want to re-install as a NetBSD/sun3 build environment.
However I don't want to have to (re)install SunOS onto a netbsd NFS
server.  I suppose I could try installing the SunOS-based Xkernel on my
NetBSD/sparc server and see if the 3/60 would be suitable under that.
Then I'd be able to serialize the tasks and have time to play (since I
do have another 3/60 for testing on).

My other dilema is swapping another NetBSD/sparc system in place of our
current 486sx25 PPP-router/firewall machine so that the latter can
become a console server for these test machines!  I've only just got
ip-filter running in 1.3.1 on the sparc, and still need to test PPP and
see if it can actually handle a 28kbps dialup.  While I do need the
excercise of running down to the basement and back to see why machines
don't reboot, I'd rather not have to!  ;-)

The sooner I can get a jucy fast Alpha or similar server to do
cross-compiles on, the better off I'd be too!  ;-)

Someday!

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>