Subject: Re: Sun i386 thing!
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/18/1998 11:24:06
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Sean Witham said:
>
> >If Dave Brownlee hasn't already answerd you yet (he's on the list)
> >sending the question to norm@mono.org. The mono BBS used NetBSD and
> >I believe it used sun i386's at one stage.
>
> The Sun 386i uses a proprietary Sun motherboard. It is in no way
> wintel compatible, and will not even boot MSDOS.

	It will run MS-DOS in a sunview 'dostool' window (albeit
	rather slowly). Was an interesting exercise. Would even run under
	broken-windows.

> As I remember, there were 2 models - 386/16 and 386/25. Their unpopularity
> cam from the fact that they were just too slow. Sun prototyped a 486i,
> but never manufactured it.

	Some info and files (including an FAQ) are available under:

		ftp://sun386i.mono.org/pub/sun386i

	I know some people who still have roadrunners - if you had the
	time you could always try porting NetBSD to them - I'm sure you'd
	find people willing to help with technical info...

		David/absolute

	Then let us live and love so that people will say;
	     "The devil as well as god... is an englishman."