Subject: Blinkenlights redux
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/14/1998 20:49:09
I have a Sun-3/60 to which I attached a farm of seven 80-meg Quantum
disks I picked up cheap (one for each SCSI ID).  I put root and swap on
one, /usr on another, and made a ccd out of the other five.  I put a
source tree on the ccd and started to build the world.

Then I started to miss activity lights on the disks.  So I tossed
together a quick hack, a variable shared between ncr5380sbc.c and
leds.c, so that with certain magic values in /dev/leds, the
blinkenlights turn into SCSI activity lights, one per SCSI ID, with one
light left over (and currently always dark).

Is there any interest in such a thing, or some generalization thereof?
The /dev/leds in the tree (at least the 1.3 tree) has *no* provision
for extensibility; I'm overloading a field to get my SCSI activity
light hack working at all.  I'd like to at least add a format value.

Any thoughts on what a "proper" interface between the SCSI code and the
LEDs code would look like?  Ideally, it'd be possible to add a network
activity light too, so I'm considering various possibilities in that
light....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca