Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Clark <ic@deakin.edu.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/12/1998 21:23:48
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Keith Woodworth wrote:

> I'm going to be dropping a 360 into a little network that currently has a
> satellite connection which will be swapped to an ADSL line this week.
>
> Now as it has 4.1 isntalled on it now I would like to install Netbsd on
> it when the adsl line goes in.
>
> I have run FreeBSD for about 18 months now, and have installed and use
> SunOS 4.1 for almost a year. How much different is Netbsd to FreeBSD I
> figure they must at least somewhat close and would just have to get used
> to a few little things but nothing to drastic.
>
> Also what kind of functionality can I get out of these 3/60's? I was
> thinking maybe an ftp server using wu-ftp . And possibly a local mail
> server as now the
> public library where these are going will have a static IP and soon its
> own domain. I can stuff 24 megs of ram into one machine.
>
> How bout an http server? The local page gets about 50 hits/day  on a
> good day. Or is that just too much for a lowly 3/60?

Well in my experience a 3/140 works admirably as a room heater, its just
the right shape and generates enough heat to keep things cosy in Winter.

Unfortunately it's just past Summer here in Australia and its 35 degrees
celsius (95 F) outside today and considerable hotter in my room with
the 3/140 and a couple of 9000/300s, not to mention the heat from a
couple of monitors and a pair of Intel type systems.

Isn't it odd though how the HPs and the Suns never miss a beat, but one
of the PCs won't boot due to overheating. :-)

V TWINS: the only practical alternitive to the single :- Phil Irving

21 Year old Moto Morini, 16 year old Moto Guzzi, 23 year old car -
So what's the fuss about a couple of 10 year old workstations?

Ian Clark VK3KRI        ic@deakin.edu.au      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~ic/