Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
From: John Hulley <jonny@abduction.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/11/1998 00:11:15
beck@obtuse.com said:
>                                              3/50's make a decent
> xterminal particularly if you can find a monitor in good shape -
> crisp black and white is still very nice and easy on the eyes. I have
> a ViewSonic P815 21" monitor on my intel stuff at home and I still
> find myself frequently using the X head on a sun 3 for working on -
> and getting someone to recondition (or reconditioning yourself) a
> bigassed sun 3 monitor is a damn sight cheaper than a decent big PC
> monitor, and a great poor-mans alternative if you work most of your
> time in X.

I'm reading this whilest sitting in front of a diskless 3/60 running
Seth Robertsons XKernel (ftp://ftp.ctr.columbia.edu/pub/Xkernel/).

XKernel runs atop a suppled minimalist SunOS 4.1.1_U1 kernel and with
a bit of hacking around can be made to work with a NetBSD kernel and
NetBSD compiled Xsun,  although the performance of the X server
seems better with SunOS.  Unfortunately I cant try it with a local
disk as the SCSI bus seems to be fried on this machine :-(

I agree though, it makes an excellent (and very inexpensive) X terminal,
which is refreshingly reliable compared to the crappy Win'95 box sitting
next to it.

  -- john.

                                                            William John Hulley
                                                            jonny@abduction.org