Subject: Re: Hard drive
To: Claude Foley <Cfoley01@cns.eds.com>
From: mill0440 <hank@black-hole.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/10/1998 15:56:22
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Claude Foley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm planning to buy a hard drive for my Sun 3/60,
>
>What is the best buy for a 2 Gig Scsi hard drive that will work on my Sun.

Not sure.

>What is the difference between ULTRA SCSI and ULTRA WIDE SCSI.

ultra-wide uses 16 bits to transfer data.  Your sun can only handle 8
bits, so buying ultra-wide is a waste of money.  Also you would need some
fancy adaptors to use wide-scsi on your sun.

Ultra scsi is much faster then your sun can handle, but things will
gracefully step down.  What this means to you if a drive has a slower
transfer speed, but is otherwise as reliable and fast it is still good
enough.  You probably won't be able to find drives like that though.

Basicly scsi has passed over you sun, while things will be avaibal for a
while that still supports it everything is going to wide-scsi, and you
will never be able to take advantage of wide scsi.  Don't worry about it
though, there are options.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        http://blugill.home.ml.org/
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   |  Isn't there always a cat    | Henry
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)       hank@black-hole.com