Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: None <kwoody@citytel.net>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/10/1998 14:14:42
	I run an internal use http and ftp server and secondary DNS on
a 3/60 running NetBSD.  No problem at all. If your internet connection
isn't all that speedy anyway you could probably handle serving a
smallish size site off of one without any trouble at all. I still have
a 3/80 at home playing NFS and SMB server, and doubling as my "let's
see if this can still work on SunOS 4" box :-)  I also use 3/50's
as xterminals and "test machine" - I have a 3/50 sitting on a network
by itself that I plug in behind things to test proxies, etc.

	Figure anything you could have a small 386 do, that'll do just
fine, and the hardware is probably more reliable in most cases.

	3/50's are problematic due to limited memory. but 3/60's and
3/80's are just fine for serving small bits. 3/50's make a decent
xterminal particularly if you can find a monitor in good shape - crisp
black and white is still very nice and easy on the eyes. I have a
ViewSonic P815 21" monitor on my intel stuff at home and I still find
myself frequently using the X head on a sun 3 for working on - and
getting someone to recondition (or reconditioning yourself) a bigassed
sun 3 monitor is a damn sight cheaper than a decent big PC monitor,
and a great poor-mans alternative if you work most of your time in X.

	-Bob