Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: brian moore <bem@cmc.net>
From: Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/10/1998 00:19:08
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, brian moore wrote:

> Well... I ran my personal mail server, a web server that got a couple
> hundred hits a day, anonymous FTP and a MUD on a 3/60 with 20M of RAM
> for a year or so.  (Only moved it off the 3/60 when network performance
> at the host site got so bad I changed DNS one Sunday to point to a different
> machine for all the above, and then took a month or so to get the machine
> back.)  It was also my own personal shell machine where I read news, mail
> ran Slirp and compiled toys.

Well the above is primarily what I want to do with them.

> 3/60's are nice reliable workhorses: they won't replace new stuff, but
> for simple stuff (and all the above is simple :)) they are cheap and
> stable.

yes the stuff is pretty simple. I have been using FreeBSD for sometime
now and have Apache and ftp setup on it quite well.

> If one machine gets a bit pokey for all the above, you can certainly add
> more, splitting the services amongst various machines.

Have another one that currently netboots off shoebox and those suns in
turn are attached to my lan of a freebsd box, a win95 box and an old dos
box. Though finally gonna move the suns back to the library now that they
are working and I can put them to good use.

Thanks!
Keith