Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/10/1998 00:05:12
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, der Mouse wrote:

> Pretty much anything, provided you don't ask for too much of it. :-)  I
> know of one place that's using a -3/50 as their main server machine
> (this is a small company, obviously, and the box does have the memory
> expansion daughterboard installed).

I know that a dept at UCSB uses a Sun 3/something as a simple little mail
server. Handles quite abit of mail I hear.

> don't go too high.  My main mail server at home is a Sun-3/260, which
> isn't all that much faster than a -3/60, and it handles a hundred
> messages a day no problem, and could probably handle a thousand a day
> without crumpling, provided they didn't all attack it at once :-)

No mail to start with though that may change. But a web server and ftp
server are definatly in the plan.

> 50 hits a *day*?!  That's nothing.  Even the very slowest machine
> NetBSD runs on (which is probably one of the HP 9000/300 boxen, a
> 68020/16.66667 box (I have one, a 9000/319 I think it is)) could surely
> handle 50 hits a day.  After all, that gives you nearly half an hour to
> serve each hit, on average - I think user impatience will be more of a
> problem than overloading the server.

I know thats nothing but really I have no idea how much of a load a
little 3/60 will handle. Its a local public library and this machine will
probably even be used as a gateway at some point. Its heartening to know
that these machines are really still good for something!

Thanks and regards,
Keith