Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/09/1998 17:13:45
In article <199803092157.QAA06440@Twig.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> you write:
> > Also what kind of functionality can I get out of these 3/60's?
>
> Pretty much anything, provided you don't ask for too much of it. :-)  I
> know of one place that's using a -3/50 as their main server machine
> (this is a small company, obviously, and the box does have the memory
> expansion daughterboard installed).

For many years a 24M 3/60 was our main server, and it still does mail,
WWW, INN for internal and gated-from-maillist newsgroups, and light-duty
NFS serving.  It's plenty fast for those jobs.  It's only a pain when
rebuilding the OS or installing software...

> 50 hits a *day*?!  That's nothing.  Even the very slowest machine
> NetBSD runs on (which is probably one of the HP 9000/300 boxen, a
> 68020/16.66667 box (I have one, a 9000/319 I think it is)) could surely

Actually, I think that honor probably goes to the Amiga 2500/20. It has
a slower clock rate (~14.3MHz, 4x NTSC or PAL), and maxes out at 4M of
32-bit-wide memory. After that, you can put in at most another 4M of
16-bit-wide memory on a ~7.2MHz bus.

(But, it was pretty rockin' with AmigaOS, considering that OS was
designed to run comfortably on a 68000/~7.2MHz/512K :->)