Subject: Re: sun3 usefullness....
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian moore <bem@cmc.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/09/1998 13:35:22
On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 12:04:25PM -0800, Keith Woodworth wrote:

> Also what kind of functionality can I get out of these 3/60's? I was
> thinking maybe an ftp server using wu-ftp . And possibly a local mail
> server as now the
> public library where these are going will have a static IP and soon its
> own domain. I can stuff 24 megs of ram into one machine.

Should do okay for that.

> How bout an http server? The local page gets about 50 hits/day  on a
> good day. Or is that just too much for a lowly 3/60?

Well... I ran my personal mail server, a web server that got a couple
hundred hits a day, anonymous FTP and a MUD on a 3/60 with 20M of RAM
for a year or so.  (Only moved it off the 3/60 when network performance
at the host site got so bad I changed DNS one Sunday to point to a different
machine for all the above, and then took a month or so to get the machine
back.)  It was also my own personal shell machine where I read news, mail
ran Slirp and compiled toys.

3/60's are nice reliable workhorses: they won't replace new stuff, but
for simple stuff (and all the above is simple :)) they are cheap and
stable.

If one machine gets a bit pokey for all the above, you can certainly add
more, splitting the services amongst various machines.