Subject: Re: How large can a disk be on a 3/80
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/07/1998 00:28:37
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Rick Copeland wrote:

> Can I use a 4.3gig SCSI II drive with a Sun 3/80 and use the entire drive?

Yes.  Your ability to use a SCSI drive is limited only by the following:

 * NetBSD limits block device drivers to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 blocks
   per device.  (That's 2^64 blocks.)

 * The SCSI-II standard allows for two types of read operations.  The
   first, created in the SCSI-I standard, allows for block devices up to
   33554432 (2^25) blocks in size.  The second, created with SCSI-II,
   allows for block devices up to 4294967296 (2^32) blocks in size.

 * The 3/80 uses SCSI and is capable of issuing the SCSI-II read command.

Since the strongest limiting factor in your setup is that you must use
SCSI-II, the maximum drive size you may use is 2 terabytes. (how unfortunate)

However, let me suggest that if you do use a 4.3G drive, that you not
place it inside the 3/80.  It will not find the cooling rate very amusing
and will quickly let its dissatisfaction be known.  Use an external
enclosure instead.  (Ignore this warning if you are using a 4.3G drive
made in the year 1999 or later.)

-J