Subject: Re: Sun 3/E
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/25/1997 14:58:33
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Tom Trebisky wrote:

> The other limitation is that the 3/E CPU itself has a mere 4M of ram
> -- not that this would be absolutely fatal, but it would make it pretty
> much an exercise in completing the NetBSD-sun3 suite rather than anything
> truly useful (maybe I am wrong).  The scsi/ethernet board could be used
> in other configurations (such as in a 9U to 6U VME adapter with just
> about any VME sun CPU you might care to name), so a driver for it
> could have utility for a wider audience.

This is true. So far, I've been using them as tables. If I can get NetBSD
running on them...well...I'm going to use them as tables with the ability to
run NetBSD. It's like the mountain climber's motto. "Why the hell should we
port NetBSD to the Sun 3/E? Because it's there!"

The only thing that really needs to be fixed, I think, is the SCSI/Ether board
itself anyway. If you boot it with a ramdisk-rooted kernel, it works fine. It
just refuses to look at SCSI and Ethernet after the kernel has been
downloaded.

Allan "Norm" Crain |  allanc@idea-inc.com  | http://www.idea-inc.com/~allanc
  "What the hell IS Steve Jobs up to, anyway?(tm)" -- deusx@idea-inc.com