Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
To: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/12/1997 11:37:14

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Rick Copeland wrote:
>
> > I have picked up a Sun 3/80 (my second) but I cannot get a hard disk to be
> > recognized in it.  I pulled the hard disk out of my first 3/80 that has
> > NetBSD on it and runs perfect but the new one doesn't see it.  With a
> > monocrome 19" Sun monitor and kybd connected to it, it says it is sending an
> > address out (to a rarp server I guess) and all the diags initially come up
> > looking resonable.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Check the eeprom (nvram?) you can force a sun to boot from the network
> even if there is a harddrive.  That is one setting is for boot order, and
> if you only have netbooting in there, it is impossibal to do a local boot.

	Assuming the diag values come up ok and your nvram hasn't been
erased/had the battery go poof (common) it's relatively simple. If
your machine says it has an ethernet address on startup the nvram
hasn't gone yet, and you just have the default boot device set
wrong. Check and make sure you have an ethernet address in there that
looks reasonable.

	If that's the case, you can forget the nvram until you know if
the disk is in there right and you can boot from it. look at the boot
messages of your other machine. It will say something like booting from
sd(0,18,0)netbsd ...

	The default internal disk boot device for a 3/80 is
sd(0,18,0). Depending what scsi id it is, the following is the normal
transmogrification of scsi id to boot device on a 3/80.

SCSI ID     boot
0     	 sd(0,0,0)
1      	 sd(0,8,0)
2      	 sd(0,10,0)
3      	 sd(0,18,0)

	(intuituve doncha think? One of those things that endears a
company to you, kinda like New Coke and NIS+ does for me.)

    Anyway, you need to know what is being used to boot the systm,
You could just hit L1-A, then at the ">" type

>b sd(0,18,0)netbsd

   for all of the above and see what works. The right one will boot your
system if the drive is installed right.

  once you have determined which boot device your drive corresponds
to (I.E. you can actually boot the system using a b command from the
prom monitor). Then you can think about twiddling the nvram.

To twiddle the nvram for a scsi disk boot, Do the following after
pressing L1-A to get to the prom monitor prompt ">" ( This assumes that
you are booting from sd(0,18,0). If you're not replace the "18" in the
sequence below with what you are booting from.)

Enter ((ret) means press return )
Q19(ret)73(ret)64(ret).(ret)Q1C(ret)18(ret).(ret)

this modifies the eeprom to set sd(0,18,0) as the boot device.
you should be able to enter "b" after to reboot.
The screen (with your typing) should look something like below:

>Q19
EEPROM 019:nnn? 73
EEPROM 01A:nnn? 64
EEPROM 01B:nnn? .
>Q1C
EEPROM 019:nnn? 18
EEPROM 01B:nnn?.

-Bob

--
Bob Beck					 Obtuse Systems Corporation
beck@obtuse.com					 http://www.obtuse.com/