Subject: Re: can't build new kernel, et al.
To: Kevin Yungsun Kim <kykim@access.digex.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/03/1997 09:46:55

> Hi,
>
> I've installed (I think) NetBSD 1.2 on my sun3/60.  I was trying
> to build perl5, when I got these "can't fork" errors.  After some
> thought (and sending mail to this list), I figured that I need to
> increase MAXUSERS in the kernel config.  Simple enough, or so I
> thought.
>
> Okay, so I download the source.  Unpack it and try to build it.
>
> Trying a "make build" from /usr/src lead to so many errors, I decided to
> skip it.

	There are usually problems if you try to build a more recent
	version of the source tree (eg: 1.2G under 1.2), this is what
	makes tracking -current fun :)

	If you are going with a release the best bet would be 1.2.1,
	unfortunately there does not appear to be a more recent sun3
	snapshot, so upgrading from 1.2.1 to -current would be a little
	interesting - I believe someone posted a webpage with help on
	that to current-users recently.

> >From /usr/src/sys, I tried a "make" and had problems in "stand/libsa"
> The function panic() in panic.c has a different declaration that the
> one in /usr/src/sys/lib/libsa/stand.h
>
> So, at this point I decided just to try and configure a new kernel.
> Just as a test, decide to rebuild the GENERIC kernel.  But when
> I typed "config GENERIC", I got a bunch of errors along the likes of
> 	../../../conf/files: 312  syntax error

	It definitely sounds like you are trying to compile a different
	version of the source tree, can you confirm a 'uname -a' and
	from where you downloaded the source tree?

> Help!  I just wanted to build the kernel.  I would be nice if I could
> build the whole system from scratch (why? just because.)

	I know the feeling!