Subject: Re: Getting NetBSD Onto a Sun 3/60/G
To: Richard Ingram <rji@bristol.st.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/13/1997 17:39:06
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Richard Ingram wrote:

> Just about to try getting NetBSD 1.2 (binary release) onto the following
> system:
>
> Sun 3/60/G 16MB Ram. Rom Rev for tape boot. (3.0.1 ??).
> Colour Frame Buffer
> 1 SCSI HD, Seagate ST41200N 1.2GB salvaged from a Mips RC3330 Server with part
> of Riscos on.
> 1 QIC150 Tape drive.
>
> What  I plan to do is tar the dist onto a QIC150 tape, load onto my SunOS 4.1.1
> drive and write the Boot and dist tapes from that. Remove my SunOS 4.1.1 disks
> from the SCSI chain, connect up my SEAGATE and boot from tape.
>
> What I would like to know is can I do this ?

	You should be able to do it that way - I've never used a tape
	under NetBSD/sun3, but thats just lack of opportunity :)

> Do I need to format the disk first from SunOS, does this disk have a .dat entry
> and do I have to use it from NetBSD to format the disk ?

	You could format it first under SunOS, or just hook up all the
	disks, boot single user SunOS, copy the NetBSD miniroot to the
	swap partition & boot it...

> Also does anyone know how to set the SCSI ID on one of these disks? It has 8
> jumopers but I have no idea how to change the setting - ie what is the code
> used on it ?

	www.seagate.com might have the jumper settings - they have a lot
	of drive info...

> I could write the tapes from a Solaris box - would this cause a problem ?

	"probably not"... but nothing is 100% :)