Subject: Getting NetBSD Onto a Sun 3/60/G
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Ingram <rji@bristol.st.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/13/1997 10:55:45
Just about to try getting NetBSD 1.2 (binary release) onto the following
system:

Sun 3/60/G 16MB Ram. Rom Rev for tape boot. (3.0.1 ??).
Colour Frame Buffer
1 SCSI HD, Seagate ST41200N 1.2GB salvaged from a Mips RC3330 Server with part
of Riscos on.
1 QIC150 Tape drive.

What  I plan to do is tar the dist onto a QIC150 tape, load onto my SunOS 4.1.1
drive and write the Boot and dist tapes from that. Remove my SunOS 4.1.1 disks
from the SCSI chain, connect up my SEAGATE and boot from tape.

What I would like to know is can I do this ?

Do I need to format the disk first from SunOS, does this disk have a .dat entry
and do I have to use it from NetBSD to format the disk ?

Also does anyone know how to set the SCSI ID on one of these disks? It has 8
jumopers but I have no idea how to change the setting - ie what is the code
used on it ?

I could write the tapes from a Solaris box - would this cause a problem ?

Thanks for any help,

Richard.