Subject: sun3 kernel "make depend" warning
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/10/1997 08:44:49
I'm finally trying to update the system on my sun3 machines (to the
same July 8th sup I'm using everywhere else).  After rebuilding (and
reinstalling) make, /usr/share/make, lex and yacc, and config, I tried
to do a kernel.  But "make depend" produced this disturbing output:

In file included from ../../../../arch/sun3/sun3/trap.c:74:
"m68k/cpu.h", line 181: warning: `IC_CLEAR' redefined
"machine/machdep.h", line 70: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Checking the lines in question, I see that m68k/cpu.h's definition is

#define IC_CLEAR	(DC_WA|DC_BE|DC_ENABLE|IC_BE|IC_CLR|IC_ENABLE)

whereas machine/machdep.h's (ie, sun3/machdep.h's) is

#define IC_CLEAR (IC_CLR|IC_ENABLE)

This looks as though it might not be a problem, if the 68020 ignores
bits it doesn't recognize in that register...but it also leaves me with
an unsettled feeling about the state of the sun3 port.  As of the
latest sup, those two files still contain those conflicting defintions
(indeed, on both files the version number in the $NetBSD$ line is the
same), though I haven't hauled that tree over to a sun3 and checked to
see if the same complaint is produced; a quick eyeball scan of trap.c
makes it look as though the includes are the same in both the version
I'm trying to build and the latest sup.

And for you doubters :-), my patch tree does not include any patches to
either m68k/include/cpu.h or sun3/include/machdep.h.  I do have patches
to the sun3 trap.c, but not until line 675, well after all the includes
are finished.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca