Subject: Jul 23 libc.so.12.17 backout
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/24/1997 00:31:48
My Sun 3/60 build system went haywire today. I've traced it to a bad shared
libc, built and installed this morning (Jul 23). I've backed out to the
previous version (libc.so.12.16), and all the shared binaries are
complaining (of course).

The common element was misreading stuff from the disk (/etc/services -
inetd failed, /usr/share/mk/sys.mk - make failed, and so on); diff
consistently showed no difference from those files on my SPARC build system
(so I knew they hadn't been stomped somehow), so I suspected both the
kernel (which is a Jul 11, and has been perfectly stable), and the
libraries. It would appear that the library was the culprit.

I am now doing a "make cleandir" in anticipation of tomorrow's
sup/build/snapshot (with luck, maybe I get a clean system this time - well,
in three days or so, anyway...).

This is just a word of caution to those of you who also might be affected
if you're tracking -current as closely as I am. This problem does not
extend to my SPARC build system - so it's likely confined to the m68k ports.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>