Subject: Formatting a SCSI disk
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/01/1997 17:03:02
Hi All:

I'm experienced with NetBSD/VAX, but not with NetBSD for the Sun 3. I also
have no experience with SCSI disks.

I have a Sun 3/50 with an external SCSI drive and tape. The tape is a
QIC-60, the disk is hooked to an Emulex MD21 controller. It's an ESDI
drive. The machine is running NetBSD/sun3 1.1A (GENERIC).

I have a second ESDI disk that I would like to hook to the MD21.

Once I have the second drive physically connected, how do I format it? In
the VAX world there is a low level formatting/verifying routine in ROM on
the controller. I presume this is necessary as well in the SCSI world?

Once the low level format is done then I can disklabel and newfs the
partitions, a process which I am familiar with.

I tried man -k scsi, and noted the "format" command, but it does not exist
on my system. No man page either. Maybe I'm missing some utilities from my
1.1A distribution. I didn't do the install on this disk.

Any info?

Thanks

Kevin

---