Subject: Re: bootparam/whoami RPC failed?
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/23/1997 14:15:18
On Fri, 23 May 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:

> I finally got my Sun3 to work and am trying to get it to boot off my Linux
> box so I can install NetBSD. I get the right IP address and gets the netboot
> alright, but fails on bootparam. The following error message appears:
>
> >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision:; 1.5 $]
> Using IP addresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = xxxxxxxx
> boot: client addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> bootparamd: 'whoami' call failed
> net_open: bootparam/whoami RPC failed
> boot: netbsd: Input/output error
> boot:
>
> Arrgh!
> I ran callbootd from my Linux box and got all the right info:
>
> # callbootd <server IP> <client IP>
> Whoami returning:
> client_name:	goofert
> domain_name:	(none)
> router: 127.0.0.1

I don't know what callbootd is, but I think you are looking in the wrong
place.  You need to check bootparamd, NOT bootd.

do a 'ps -a' and make sure bootparamd is running.
make sure that /etc/bootparamd (or similer filename) has the needed entries.

feel stupid like most of the rest of use when we suddenly realise that
bootp is a different beast from bootparamd.