Subject: Re: Installing Sun3-disk from a Sparc?
To: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/26/1997 09:45:01
> Is it possible to use the NetBSD-sparc installboot to make a disk
> bootable for a Sun3/60?

Very maybe. :-)  The sparc and sun3 ports use very similar a.out
formats; it might Just Work.  I'd say it's much likelier to work to
take the sun3 installboot and build it on the SPARC (you may have to
use a sun3 include tree).

> I want to use my Sparc to make a NetBSD-system for a friend of mine
> who just got a 3/60.  NewFS, untarring and MAKEDEV won't be a problem
> as far as I can see, so it would be a pity if he had to bring his
> 3/60 to me just to run installboot.

Yeah, that'd be a bit of a pain.

Suggestion: set up everything except doing the installboot run
(including writing ufsboot to the disk).  Then use the SPARC
installboot to install SPARC bootblocks, but use -v, and record the
block numbers it gives.  Then hand-patch those into the sun3 bootblocks
and write them to the disk with dd.

Caveat: this ought to work, but I've never tried actually doing it.

Alternative suggestion: if you have a zip drive available, I can give
you a dd image of a bootable sun3 zip disk.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca